ROFL:ROFL:LOL:ROFL:ROFL
______^_____

 LOL===/          []\       
  \             \ 
  \_____________]
   I       I 
    -------------/ 
ROFLCOPTER!!!1

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Here Goes the Movie Theater

Not Funny!

Let's say a group of individuals performs an act that one may say conforms to a particular stereotype that might be fit to characteristics of this said group. And let's say that this act is an annoyance, such that is provokes negative feelings towards this group of individuals. Is that racism? I would argue no. However, if the person in question has negative feelings towards the larger population of people represented by the sampling of individuals due to the acts of this group, then that is ignorance on the part of the person and therefore racism.

There is another question raised here. If this group who behaves to fit a stereotype in a negative manner, they are certainly not helping their cause and can not call into question the act of racism when the person accuses them of their actions. Unless of course this person uses words or phrases in which to characterize the group in question, that refers to the stereotype.

This is confusing, and I'll give an example.

I went to the movies last night and I saw Lady in the Water. It was a small theater and there were only a few of us in there when the movie was about to begin. Then, about 10 African-American teenagers walk in and sit in the rows directly in front of me and directly behind me. I only designate their race in order to describe their appearance. Because, honestly, it probably could have been 10 white teenagers, just as annoying.

Throughout the movie, they would have to give a play by play in order to figure out what’s going on, continually laugh at character choices made by the actors, and saying out loud how they weren’t enjoying the film. I honestly don’t know why they were there. Didn’t they know what they were going to see? I’m guessing Miami Vice was sold out or something. Also, there were two of them talking on cell phones throughout the movie.

I thought about yelling at them, but I don’t think it would have helped. It would have just exacerbated the situation. Next time, I think I’ll say something. There’s just always that fear of being racist, but sometimes you just want to enjoy a movie not deal with all of this social-psychological bull shit.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger AliceAyres said...

Honestly, I hate teenagers in general. They're the most exasperating demographic in America. We had a similar experience with a field trip of (white, I'll point out) teenagers at an IMAX movie recently. They were a PAIN IN THE ASS. Loud, giggly, disruptive and ridiculous.

I think teenagers should be shot.

 
At 9:49 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Beltonius said...

Seriously...damn kids.

Back in my day...oh wait, I was a teenager until a month ago.

Anywho, I thought Lady in the Water wasn't very good and I watched it practically alone in a small theatre in Maine, so it wasn't the teenagers who ruined it (if at all) for you.

 
At 7:22 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger the ROFLMAN said...

Mr. Beltonious, I appreciate the comment, however, I like the directing style of M. Night Shyamalan. I also think Paul Giamatti did an excellent job, despite the criticism from the barely post puberty peanut gallery, not understanding why he had a stutter. Anyway, I liked the story and the characters if nothing else.

 
At 9:25 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Joe said...

You should have seen Miami Vice. It was EPIC.

And honestly, I think you can almost discount race. Our nation's youth has dissolved into a hopeless mass of AIM-spouting, Myspace addicted, overdramatic little shits who have lost all concept of a world containing people other than themselves.

But, seriously, Miami Vice.

PS This post is the perfect blend of Tasse-like overintrospection mixed with good ol' CTO racial frustration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home