ROFL:ROFL:LOL:ROFL:ROFL
______^_____

 LOL===/          []\       
  \             \ 
  \_____________]
   I       I 
    -------------/ 
ROFLCOPTER!!!1

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

InCredible Pants

It's amazing what a pair of pants can do for your credibility.

Rainbows, you know what that meansI'm walking around my living room this morning, getting ready for work. The usual... turn on The Today Show, start a pot of coffee, put a bagel in the toaster and so on. After my shower, I usually walk around in boxers and a polo shirt, drink some more coffee, laugh mildly as Al Roker says something witty to a group of hula dancers holding signs, from Hawaii. Make a lunch while listening to the serious tone of Matt Lauer as he mutters something about Hezbollah and Israel. Finally, I gather my belongings as Ann Curry tries as hard as she can to be empathetic towards five puppies, crushed by an empty FEMA trailer, knocked over on a windy day.

It seems to me that people take themselves too seriously. Newscasters especially. One minute, they're joking about some mildly amusing news story and then the next minute, they have to talk about Al-Quaeda killing 20 people at a funeral. And if you pay attention you can see them react as the read the teleprompter. At the instant they read the beginning of the next story, but before the first word comes out, it's quick put on your serious, understanding face.

I don't care too much because I know it's all about entertainment. Their purpose is to entertain me in the morning while I'm sitting on my couch in my boxers and drinking coffee. If they happen to deliver credible, heartfelt news, then that's great. And if they make me believe them, then all the better.

I thought about how many other people were probably sitting around in their underwear as I was, relaxed and honest with themselves. I moved to my bedroom, put on my khakis and thought about if we all decided not to wear pants to work one day. We'd still be the same people, smart, caring individuals, just exposed from our business casual image we project. Unless you look the part, regardless of your character, you won't be taken seriously. And as I walked past my bathroom to get my keys, lunch, and coffee, I saw myself in the mirror and stopped.

Then I thought, It's amazing what a pair of pants can do for your credibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home